Friday, April 29, 2005

Scott Ginsberg: Blog Quality and Ethics


scott tells it like it is... Posted by Hello


I just starting sending out an email to what will probably end up being about 100 top blogging pros.

This time I asked simply:

"What do you think are the most pressing issues...

...of quality or ethics for blogs?"

Within an hour of the first wave of emails I sent out, I got quite a few good responses.

I will be doing a post that will contain all the responses, and I guess I'll UPDATE EDIT the post as new replies flood in to me...

...but this one from Scott Ginsberg ("that nametag guy"), who is a great theoretician and writer, is quite nice:

[QUOTE from Scott Ginsberg]

Ethical vs. quality, huh?

Good question. I've heard of people getting fired for having blogs, which sucks - but at the same time, talkin' trash about a company you work for online isn't exactly ethical.

As far as quality goes, there's nothing we can do to regulate it.

Blogger always talks about the importance of blog quality, and so do many other articles on the subject. But blogging is free and open to anyone who wants to do it, so naturally there is going to be a lot of shite [sic] out there. That's what happens when people take advantage of free speech.

But if you are serious about blogging as it pertains to your business, I'd think you'd be smart enough NOT to post shite [sic] anyway.

That's why I think you should ONLY start a blog if you've got some important, valuable, expert, funny, interesting and controversial things to say that people will want to read.

In other words, don't just blog for the sake of blogging.

Have a point.


Later Steven

-Scott

[END QUOTE]


Visit Scott, and see why Seth Godin was astonished at him:

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/
2004/10/hello_my_name_i.html


Hello, My Name is Scott
http://www.hellomynameisscott.com

Hello, My Name is Blog

http://www.hellomynameisscott.blogspot.com

No comments: