Friday, May 27, 2005

7 Things That Happen When You Blog


...or: blog miracles that can occur. Posted by Hello


I don't know why anyone who benefits from reading blogs would NOT want to start a blog.

It's easy, cheap or free, and it's fun.

Of course, it can be hard work, too.

And blogging can sometimes be frustrating.

But if you see blogging as having a positive effect on your thinking, writing, and networking (connecting with other people) skills, to blog is mostly a joy.

Over at my original blog, Vaspers the Grate, I posted a "One Year Anniversary" announcement. In it, I listed many of the bloggers and book authors who have helped me. My, that list was long. And it dawned on me: I've made a lot of friends by blogging.

So let's look at 7 nice results of being a blogger.


7 Things That Happen
When You Blog


(1.) You feel like a part of the internet, the web, the blogosphere.

(2.) You improve your thinking, writing, and networking skills.

(3.) You express your ideas, personality, and feelings to a potentially global audience, thus opening up the possibility of making new friends from distant areas of the world.

(4.) You join the fellowship of bloggers, a sort of special society, where we encourage, scold, question, challenge, laugh and cry with each other.

(5.) You share your unique perspectives, insights, information, tastes, and sense of wonder with others.

(6.) You get interested in other blogs and meet other bloggers online, and sometimes in the real world, thus expanding your understanding of a new, revolutionary, and democratically empowering technology: the blog.

(7.) You begin to pick up on little HTML, web design, usability, credibility, and hyperlinking techniques as you fiddle with your blog, and see things at other blogs that you want to incorporate on your blog.


I hope I'm not boring anyone by stating the painfully obvious here.

But I just thought it might be nice to point out some blogging benefits that we may take for granted and not really appreciate as much as we could.


[signed] Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate

6 comments:

SatishTalim said...

Rightly said.

steven edward streight said...

Thank you satishtalim.

What an interesting name. I love that photo of you in your comment. What is that book you're reading, or is it a book there?

What country are you living in?

Best wishes to you. I will click/select your name link and see where it leads.

Bart said...

Spot-on list.

But don't forget : archiving.

The reason why I started blogging, was to not forget my own thoughts, processes, interesting links etc.

steven edward streight said...

Bart, I knew I was probably forgeting a few things.

Yes, archiving is very important, and many bloggers use their blog as a way to store or organize links and their own thoughts, impressions, ideas.

Thanks for adding that. Good job, my friend.

Laurent said...

Those 7 Things that happen _really_ remind me those fellings I had when starting my first homepage in 1996, and then receiving emails from people living in countries faaaar away from my home...

steven edward streight said...

Thanks Laurent for coming all the way from France, one of my favorite countries, to comment here.

Do you like Jacques Derrida, Maurice Blanchot, Alain Robbes-Grillet, Raymond Roussell, Roland Barthes, Jean Cocteau? I do.