Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Blog Sidebar Experiment--coming soon



"Blog Sidebar Experiment" will look at the sidebar content strategies of 60 or so blogs.

This upcoming post is a continuation of my ever popular series of "blog experiments".

My readers and I are on a fascinating adventure.

We're joining together online to do what Derrida and deconstructive philosophy would call "close reading".

This is what I love about Jacques Derrida, the brilliant and difficult French philosopher. Difficult because he's using a technique that's the opposite of Attention Deficit and "zoning out", i.e. lack of mental focus and critical-analytical thinking.

Use your mind in an active manner, not just passively soaking up "entertainment" and commercial/religious/political propaganda. Study challenging books once in a while. It's mind exercise, and this practice can develop into astonishing, blissful powers.

Anyway, we've already looked a blog post titles, and blog taglines.



Next: blog sidebars.


Blog sidebars are a somewhat neglected, but hugely important, aspect of blogs.

I think, maybe it's just me, but, I think readers judge a blog almost as much on its sidebar, as on its post contents.



How much thought and work have you put into your sidebar?



Posts are often labor-intensive and time-consuming to read and evaluate...

...but sidebars are usually easier to quickly scan and get a feel for a blog.



"Blog Sidebar Experiment"...yet another revolutionary, innovative (if I do say so myself, LOL) exclusive


from the folks who bring you:



Blogology...a web usability analyst's

insights on blogs and blogging.



Vaspers the Grate/Blog Core Values




[signed] Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate

No comments: