Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Is Business Week hostile to FREE?


Is Business Week hostile to FREE?

It sure seems that way.

Friends, this is their second assault on Blogger and Google. And it's neither accurate nor fair.

See my response to their first attack at:

"Harsh Comments and Black Holes"

http://vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com/2005/08/
harsh-comments-and-black-holes.html

Here, quoted, with a little deleted, below, is the latest post at Business Week's blog called Blogspotting.

Please notice the title of the post. A good deconstructionist observes the fact that the article is not titled "Some blog hosts may be excluded from search engine results" but is rather titled "The downside of free blog service" as though it were the FREE aspect that is a problem.

The FREE aspect of Blogger/Blogspot blogs is not the problem.

The real problem is the fact that blogbots, automated programs designed to create blogs, are taking advantage of free and easy blogging software. These blogbots create Blogger blogs as tools to link to other sites, thus boosting the link popularity and search engine rankings of the target sites.

In other words, the automated blog creation programs, launched by spammers, are exploiting Blogger's free and simple blog software.

But Blogger now uses a captcha (visual alphanumerical pattern recognition device to distinguish humans from automated programs) in the final stage of blog creation. This, as far as I know, is an effective way to block the blogbots.

So why attack Blogger and try to divert people from using their software? This seems a bit suspicious to me.

Let's look deconstructively at Stephen Baker's post attacking Blogger...again.

[QUOTE]


August 16, 2005

The downside of free blog service

by Stephen Baker

Back when the spam epidemic was triggering alarms, e-mails from Hotmail accounts risked getting ensnared in filters. Now, with spambloggers using the free blogs at Google's Blogger, the blogspot address raises suspicions.

Mark Cuban, says:

If you are an individual blogger whose blog is hosted on blogspot.com, every day the chances of you being excluded from icerocket.com’s, and other search engines’ indexes increases.


If that weren't enough, Feedster's Scott Rafer writes that bloggers without their own domains or subdomain are excluded from the Feedster rankings.

The one exception is PostSecret, at # 10.

[snip]

[END QUOTE]


My comment that I just posted a few minutes ago, and which I forgot to copy into my browser edit function (forgetting my own advice to my readers...ooops. Now you know for sure that I'm not quite perfect yet)...

...was along the lines of this:

"This is assuming that search engines drive high value traffic to blogs, and that search engines are free from bias and have high credibility."

I was experimenting, to see if I was still blacklisted into a "DNS Black Hole" as on previous comment attempts.

Apparently, my comment bypassed any "spam filters" and I made it to the "Your comment posting is being delayed for moderation to prevent spam" message.

I think they'll post my comment, since it's a lot milder than my standard fare.

NOTE: The first Blogspotting attack was on Blogger's vulnerability to blogbots that create spam or link farm blogs. Attack #2 is on Blogger blogs not getting listed in some search engine results.


TRANSPARENCY DISCLAIMER:

Almost all my blogs are FREE Blogger/Blogspot blogs from Google. Google also provides me with FREE Hello/Picasa image upload software, and a FREE Gmail account. Thus, I am an UNPAID rabid attack dog for Google and Blogger and Evan Williams. I engage in ruthless blogocombat with anyone who even looks at them in a manner that offends me.



[signed] Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate


;^)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As with all things, blogs are a force for good and evil.

I'd be interested in seeing what the percentages of spam/crap blogs to platform is.

Whilst I'm a huge Wordpress fan, I'm not going to start whinging about blogger.

The wholse starting point of blogs is that they are free/low cost methods to get your information out there.

I'm sure most people can differentiate between useful and spam information. But, it's those people obsessed with collating so-called top 100 lists and search engines that have to work to weed these things out.

Once we start talking about free blogging hosts being problematic we're starting to hit a slippery slope.

I just hope that babies aren't thrown out with the bath water.

Paul Woodhouse

steven edward streight said...

You know what's coming next, don't you, Paul?

Paid content, paid bloggers, paid blogging software, paid, paid, paid everything.

Price tags on everything, including your soul.

Sounds, er, devilish dare I say?

Anonymous said...

It's already here and quickly overtaking the blogosphere.

I've been conducting a little experiment as of late looking for and applying for blogging related jobs.

There are folks wanting to set up automated blogs, copywritten blogs and those wishing to pay $3 a blog post for a 36 posts a week minimum.

You name it, somebody is asking for it to be done.

I honestly don't think I've found one that's even remotely blog core or cluetrain.

As per usual, the scum is rising.

Paul Woodhouse

steven edward streight said...

36 posts per week???

You must mean 36 posts per month.

Even I might have trouble coming up with 36 posts per week, unless it was on a personal trivia drivel chatterbox blog.

That's 6 posts per day. When would you have time to garden, bathe, or catch a quick beer at the fight pub?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, 36 a week. I angled as to whether they just wanted news snippets, but they wanted around 250 words a post and some original content all about real estate.

Blogging is the new work at home sweatshop.

Paul.

steven edward streight said...

They must be completely greedy, crazy, and unappreciative of what it takes to craft a valuable, accurate, and substantial blog post.

It sounds like a spamdexer, someone who wants sheer volume of keyword posts to make the blog rise to the top of the manure pile of meaningless blogs.