Blog Haters, A Listers, and Blog Day 2005
"Where are the so-called
the blogosphere needs them?"
Nir Ofir, the brains behind this historic, first annual Blog Day event, offers this update:
"Blog Day 2005: The Blogal Village"
I will quote a part of it here...
Since June 2005 (3 months ago), BlogDay have generated 30,800 new pages in Google.
Technorati lists 1329 Blog posts about it and thousands of bloggers from these countries have participated: Israel, Pakistan, US, Singapore, China, France, Hungary, Spain, UK, India, Italy, Ireland, Malaysia, Cambodia, Greece, Finland, Germany, Taiwan, Korea, South Africa, Japan and many more.
The BlogDay description was translated in the BlogDay wiki by bloggers to 15 languages. The wiki got more than 25,000 page views on August 31st; a Greek designer won the BlogDay design contest with his brilliant design to BlogDay future web site.
The A-list bloggers (Mostly Americans) (almost) didn't write about BlogDay.
I, as a professional in this field (Blogs, Social software, web2.0 blah blah) was disappointed because I really wanted to read what do they had to say about my project and, because I truly believed that as "main information junctions" they will help me spread the word about BlogDay. Some of them did write about it. I rather some don't.
Today, I assume that most of the bloggers that have celebrated BlogDay are personal bloggers.
Bloggers that write about their lives and jobs that are using community based platforms like Blogger or Livejournal in the US, "Yam" in Taiwan, "ioblogo" in Italy or "blogia" in Spain.
BlogDay made me realize how huge the market share of the Personal blogs compared to professional blogs.
My "not so wild assumption" is that 95% of all blogs in the world are personal or half professional blogs that are being hosted in some kind of a community portal and the other 5% are professional blogs that are being hosted in independent servers or with services like Typepad (My virtual Home).
95% are personal blogs!
Do you capture the power of this large majority of bloggers? Do you, as I did, understand now that most of blog readers visit personal blogs and not the 5% professional blogs and those who are labeled as "A-list" Bloggers (No offense).[END QUOTE]
Please go visit Nir's blog to read the entire post, and other articles he has published there.
Again, I want to repeat that many alleged "A List" bloggers are my allies, friends, and mentors. I don't wish to humiliate or condemn any of them. Many were caught up in client work, the Hurricane Katrina disaster, and other pressing matters.
But many so-called "A List" bloggers are arrogant, selfish, and only care about making money, achieving celebrity status (so-called), or accumulating praises and congratulations. As self-proclaimed high priests of the holy blogosphere, some of them they seek worship and orthodoxy.
I, on the other hand, prefer to be a voice crying in the wilderness.
Shunned by the smug, hated by the corrupt, and attacked by the vile, I plug away day after day, losing RSS subscribers with every harshly critical post...
...and gaining the respect of the powers that really matter, and the audience that appreciates combative honesty and confrontational integrity.
Next time there is an important blogospheric event, I'll try to announce it in a more timely manner, email my allies and mentors faster, and hope for the best.
[signed] Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
P.S. Be sure to read the flaming attack on Blog Day 2005 and Vaspers the Grate in the sissy boy comments section of the Dvorak Uncensored Blog Day 2005 post:
I guess these wannbe flamers are too brilliant to see the irony of posting an anti-blog comment on a blog that is known for being contrarian, radical, and yet also associated with the MSM.
I consider John C. Dvorak a valuable ally and friend. He is an inspiration to me. We have engaged in numerous email conversations, and we have published posts about each other on our blogs.
Now, I also know that Dvorak is opposed, even though he operates a blog, to the blog frenzy and blog fanatics sweeping America these days.
Dvorak knows that I also despise the "blogs are easy ways to get rich quick", "blogs will save the world", and "blogs are miracles for all businesses" idiocy.
But these silly hateful commenters can only say "what's a Jakob Nielsen/Jacques Derrida deconstruction based web usability analyst?" and "I was the only person online at his blog". Ooooh wow, those comments really hurt my lack of feelings.
I call myself a JN/JD deconstruction based web usability analyst for a good reason. I seek to piss off the hillbilly morons who don't understand philosophy, usability, or analytical thinking.
I seek to alienate the hick town schmucks who pride themselves in their dumbed down pursuit of beer, pretzels, and sports. Who worship Harry Potter and play Grand Theft Auto video games.
I always have the last laugh as they sink in the stench of their own mediocrity.