Friday, September 30, 2005

Save Your Blog Template


Save Your
Blog Template



I keep having amazingly horrible problems with this Blog Core Values blog. Large sections of the template just disappear for no reason that I can discover. I know a little about HTML and CSS and so forth, so this should not be happening.

The latest nightmare?

How about this: the entire template vanished, but I could still visit this blog and see it in my browser. When I tried to post new material to this blog, during the last few days, I kept getting "error message 002: main template is empty."

I ignored this and kept trying to publish a new post. No luck. So I went to the main template and sure enough: empty.

Do you know how weird it feels to stare and a big blank space where the blog template is supposed to be, where it used to be, where it is no longer?

What happened to my main template? How could it suddenly be empty?

I will email Blogger and try to find out. I'll also do a Google search on "main template is empty". Usually a search on error messages will result in many blog posts about how others have dealt with the errors.

My message to you now is this: Save Your Blog Template. Use whatever text editor you have, Notepad, Wordpad, MS Word, StarOffice, etc. to copy and paste the entire template.

Blog Core Values looks weird right now because the template I'm now using is from July 2005. I made many changes in it since then, so you're viewing what Blog Core Values used to look like.

Now I have to go into the template and change things. So this blog is under construction again. What a pain, to have to go through all this again and again and again.

Save Your Blog Template every time you make significant changes. Do it now, if you have never saved the template. Please listen to me.

What if you don't save it? You're screwed, that's what.

If you ever get the error message about your main template being empty, I guess that means that the blog in your browser is a cached version. In actuality, if your template is empty, your blog is dead, it no longer exists.

Like I said previously, in the past I've also mysteriously lost huge portions of my template on this blog. The first 1/4 of the template will be intact, but the other 3/4 vanished. I'll have to search my own archives to locate any posts I've done on this issue. I think I did a post about it several months ago.

If anyone has better or more complete information on this problem, please post a comment or email me. I'll be researching this more and posting my findings.


[signed] Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate

:^(

4 comments:

carrie said...

that is a good idea. i'll do it.

steven edward streight said...

All software blog products: Blogger, WordPress, TypePad, Xanga, LiveJournal, Moveable Type, they all have bugs and problems now and then.

It's good to save your blog template, with all your sidebar contents, blogrolls, etc. so you won't have to start your blog all over from nothing if the template mysteriously drops off the face of the earth.

Steve said...

You're not totally screwed if your template mysteriously disappears. You can search for your blog on Google, and click on "Cache", and see a cached copy of the template. Of course, the copy is actually an HTML rendered version of the template, but at least you have a place to start from when rebuilding your template.

steven edward streight said...

Hmmm...blogs about bikers...and cemetaries...and slot machines...etc.???