Friday, April 21, 2006

content theft blogs

Content theft blogs are blogs that merely aggregate the posts of other blogs, and actually take credit for these posts. Sound insane? It happens a lot.

I have a post called "secret depths of blogging" over at Vaspers the Grate. Imagine my surprise when I did a Technorati "blogs that link to me" search...and discovered some asshat using my post as their content.

"secret depths of blogging by Digital music download music shopping"

link to content theft felony blog

WTF? "by Digital music..." ? Hell no. That post "secret depths of blogging" is by Vaspers the Grate. See that link to my post, at the bottom, that says "Original Post:...."? That's a link to my post. But, although they link to me, they are taking credit for the post, which is only partially quoted.

See the term "digital effluvium" in the text? That's my original neologism, an expression I invented. No one else in the entire world uses that expression. I'm not sure what the purpose of this blog is, though I suspect it's a link farm "splog", or spam blog, a blogoid object that exists merely to drive traffic to other sites.

Do not click on any links in this blog, for they're probably malicious, links to spyware or virus attaching sites.

I plan to press charges and sue the blogger. I want to destroy this con artist and his shitty aggregator blog that rips off music-oriented content of other blogs.

Content theft blogs are usually, maybe always, anonymous. They don't have the balls to identify themselves. I have seen this plagiaristic practice many times, and this is not the first Pseudo Blog to steal my content.

1 comment:

Cecil Kleakins said...

Does your blog have an RSS feed? As useful as RSS is, it makes it incredibly easy to steal content and repurpose it. I've seen product reviews I've posted on Amazon and elsewhere propigate themselves throughout many review/opinion aggregator sites (got a neologism for them?).

I just heard a bit on NPR about how when Charles Dickens first came to the US, he was incredibly dismayed to find that American newspapers were publishing his serialized works without paying him a cent in royalties. He was furious and said so. The American media responded with indignation. Their contention was that they were using their newspapers to garner him wider readership as an author, and how dare he bite the hand that feeds him with new readers! The same argument is used in developing countries against the idea of software piracy.

I think the bottom line is that the blogosphere is an emerging developing marketplace. We are still learning the rules. These rakish profligates that have made off with your content are taking advantage of the open market (via the power of RSS) to feed off of what might otherwise seem difficult to capitalize upon on an individual level. But the technology makes it too easy to rapidly create armies of such feeder sites by which more substantial traffic can be generated. But the market will edge them out as more of them keep feeding. The splogsplosion of such entities ensures their own obselescence.

But it points to an interesting need among blood-pumping carbon-based bloggers. How to create a kind of a Turing test for content? How to "sign" your writing in such a manner that readers can know it is real? Or is such a concept of ownership an antiquated relic of modernism? Is open-source capitalism creating a kind of ownerless communism?