Monday, June 12, 2006

why does your blog exist?

Why did you create your blog?

What purpose did you assign it? Have you ever thought seriously about how to measure the success of your blog? What goals do you have for it? How do you monitor the results?

If you say, "I don't care about results," are we to believe that you're an independent thinker who enjoys self-expression for exhibitionistic satisfaction, aloof from others, self-contained, not needing approval or affirmation, operating a blog for the pure art form of it, adrift like a dead angel on a toxic cloud.

If you say, "I want to achieve success, popularity, fame, riches, and admiration", you'll be cruelly disappointed, no matter how hard you try, no matter what you do. You must blog for the benefit of others, to entertain, inspire, or inform them, if you wish to succeed.

Altruism triumphs over Narcissism.

If your objective in blogging is to improve your writing and debating skills (marketable skills), help others understand something, teach others how to do something, you'll succeed if you persist and never quit.

I'm quite interested in the Farewell To Blogging posts that I stumble upon. Like this one from Michael Martine, "I'm Back".


[QUOTE]

GoogleTube Video of the Day wasn’t fun, anymore, so today I killed it. I killed my blog! I had always said that when it wasn’t fun anymore I’d quit while I was ahead, and that’s what it has come to.

I feel sad about it, but I’ll also feel relieved to not have to post there, anymore, or spend hours searching for videos for it.

So what am I doing here?

Other than pimping WordPress themes, I think I’ll just use this as a regular ol’ bloggy-blog. The occasional video will still be posted.

Basically, whatever the hell I feel like.

I have no desire to post every day, but when I do, it will be because I’ve got something good for you.

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 8th, 2006 at 9:56 pm.

[END QUOTE]


2 comments:

Hans said...

It seems that to quit blogging comes out for many guys much more difficult, than quitting with their girl-friend...

I also realized, that quite a lot people are quitting these days, is it just the hot summer, or a start of something more ?

Will there blogs be in 10 years ? Steven, what is your prediction ?

steven edward streight said...

I predict that blogs in the next few years will become more expansive interactive customized web site constellations...

...more fully humanized galaxies of functionalities.

Blogs are moving toward full service multi-media centers and trust-net link hubs.

Hardcore Super Bloggers will provide art, photos, music, audio, video, real-time communications via Skype Conference Calls and web cam chat.

Blogs will grow a human face with a human voice and multiple choice.

In 10 years, there will be no blogs.

We will be using glogs instead, psychogeographic bionic controls.

We will have computers and wifi VPN connections embedded in our brains.

You'll send an email by scratching your forehead, and view a blog by winking your left eye in a coded sequence of flinches.